The Collections Blog has reached 5000 views! In celebration, we bring you a fun ‘grab bag’ of Rockford memories from our collection.
The Kold Krunch Ice Cream Bar was invented by Bert “Fish” Hassell, pilot of the Greater Rockford airplane seen on display in the Museum Center (photo at the right). Bert wanted to create a product that would ensure his family’s financial stability during the Depression. His daughter recalled how her mother woke one night to hear Bert in the kitchen, making chocolate sauce and caramel corn. And after consulting several ice cream companies about how to keep the ice cream from gelling, he came up with the first ice cream bar with a cracker jack-like confection. It sold for a nickel, and kept his family from the bread lines.
The destruction of the tornado that struck Rockford on September 14, 1928 can be seen in this photograph. The house has slid off of it’s foundation and rests in the middle of the street. The worst of its kind to hit Rockford, the tornado resulted in the death of 14 people with over 100 injured and 200 buildings damaged or destroyed.
All new parents are eager to capture their little one on film. But if babies were too squirmy, their picture would end up blurry. To keep infants still, many parents would hold their child and the photographer would hide them with a blanket or curtain. In this example, the parent is seated with blanket covering him or her. While it may appear to be the back of the chair, the parent’s arms are clearly seen on either side of “Irving.”
Meet Waring, Fire Dog of the Rockford Fire Department. Waring was a member of Engine Two. He responded to fires, delighted children in outreach programs, and, according to the plaque on his photo’s frame, “performed station duties as required.” This photograph was taken in 1950.
Want to learn more about Rockford history? Come visit us at Midway Village Museum! Explore our exhibitions, including 100 Years of Girl Scouting and our newest addition Many Faces, One Community. Take a tour of the Victorian Village, which includes 26 buildings and gardens.
Open Tuesday – Sunday, 10am – 4pm
Admission: $7 Adults, $4 Children (3 and under are free!) Members are free!