Tag Archives: Medical

Women in Wartime: Nursing

Lt. Marilyn Cedarleaf

Lt. Marilyn Cedarleaf

Marilyn Cedarleaf, the daughter of Swedish immigrants, was born in Rockford in 1921.  She trained as a nurse at Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago and graduated in 1943.  In 1945, at the age of 24, she went with a friend to the Red Cross on Wabash Ave. to get information about joining the war effort.  Marilyn wasn’t sure that she wanted to go, but she got a hard sell from the recruiter and signed up that day.  Social pressures of wartime often influenced volunteers for service.

Marilyn went to basic training at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin, then Fort Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania, and lastly at Camp Kilmer in New Jersey.  She and a friend from Camp McCoy stuck together throughout their service.

Nurses Training at Camp McCoy

Nurses Training at Camp McCoy

Nurses Training at Camp McCoy

Nurses Training at Camp McCoy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Photos courtesy of Lieutenant General Richard R. Taylor’s Medical Training in World War II.  Medical Department, United States Army)

After basic training, they and 200 other nurses set sail for Europe.  Marilyn described the trip as scary.  They had to turn their lights off at night, and one time she got in trouble for having her porthole open.  Their ship landed in Scotland on May 8, 1945 – VE Day.  They went to England to receive their assignments before heading back to Glasgow to a general hospital to treat soldiers.  Many of those Marilyn treated were POWs, which she remembered as being a very sad time. They cared for a train load of wounded every day or two.

Marilyn’s nursing uniform with cap.

Marilyn’s nursing uniform with cap.

After the hospital closed, she went to France from hospital to hospital, moving around by ambulance.  In Marseilles, she was getting ready to go to China but her orders were cancelled when the U.S. dropped the first atomic bomb over Hiroshima, Japan.  Instead, she was sent to Belgium before being discharged as a First Lieutenant.

Marilyn’s dress uniform.

Marilyn’s dress uniform.

These decorative pitchers are made from bullet and shell casings and represent trench art.  Trench art dates back to the Napoleonic Wars, but is most often found from the World War I.  This type of art is directly linked to armed conflict.  Marilyn’s trench art, seen below, was made in Belgium and commemorates the places she traveled during her service.

Scotland, England, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, Holland, 1945-1946

Scotland, England, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, Holland, 1945-1946

Lt. Ruth M. Cedarleaf 12th Field House

Lt. Ruth M. Cedarleaf
12th Field House

WWII Trench Art 2

Glasgow, London, Paris (1945 inscribed on back) and Geneva, Le Mans, Liege (1946 on inscribed on back)

Glasgow, London, Paris (1945 inscribed on back) and Geneva, Le Mans, Liege (1946 on inscribed on back)

Become a Nurse

Upcoming Event!!!  World War II Days

Saturday, September 21, 2013  11 am – 5 pm

Sunday, September 22, 2013  11 am – 4 pm

Midway Village Museum hosts the largest World War II era re-enactment in the United States with over 1,000 uniformed re-enactors from 40 states representing soldiers from the United States, Great Britain, France, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Japan, Italy and Germany along with vintage tanks, halftracks and other 1940s era military vehicles!

World War II Days includes elaborate and realistic battles complete with tanks, artillery, armored vehicles, and exciting pyrotechnic displays. Saturday the battle shows are featured at 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm. Sunday the battle time is 2:30 pm. Maps of the event site will be available when visitors arrive showcasing the battlefield and the various encampments and attractions. The event will be held rain or shine.

 One Day Admission Cost

$12 adults; $6 for children (3 to 17); and free for World War II veterans and Museum Members

Two Day Pass Cost
Two day event passes are $18 for adults; $9 for children (there is too much to see it all in just one day!)

For more information on event details, click here: https://midwayvillagemuseumcollections.wordpress.com/tag/military/

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

An Apple a Day

Living on the prairie in Rockford’s early days meant enduring hardship, and when sickness or injury came to a settler, a messenger was sent for the local doctor.  In 1846, malarial fever spread throughout the community, making physicians very busy.  They would travel several miles, even to Roscoe and Stillman’s Run.  Dr. Archibald Catlin, who had arrived in 1838, never turned down a night call, sometimes riding with the messenger who came for him.  He even rode piggy-back style on one messenger to cross the flooded Kishwaukee River to reach a patient.

In 1883, dedicated physicians like Dr. Catlin organized a committee with the mission of establishing Rockford’s first hospital.  The need for a hospital was heavily influenced by the city’s industrial growth, as dangerous factory machines caused severe injury.  By 1884, by-laws and a constitution for the hospital were created.  They founded the hospital in Dr. William Fitch’s home, located at Chestnut and South Court Streets.  The house was renovated for only $1000, and Rockford Hospital opened on October 1, 1885 with 15 patient beds and a physician staff of 8.  One hundred cases were handled within its first year of operation.  In its first four years, the patients were mostly single, immigrant men in their 20s and 30s.

Dr. Fitch’s former home facing Chestnut St. in fornt, addition in rear.

It took the people of the community a little while to get used to the new hospital.  They were afraid that a hospital would spread disease.  In 1881, small pox struck Rockford, infecting 23 people and killing 3.  In a panic, neighborhoods barricaded streets near affected areas.  One house of a victim was burned to the ground so that it could not be used as a pesthouse.  Pesthouses, used for quarantine, were usually located out of town.  But the hospital was centrally located, and many people feared that those with contagious diseases would be admitted.

On March 6, 1888, Rockford Hospital’s new addition was opened.  The three-story brick building behind Dr. Fitch’s old house had an operating room, patient rooms, living quarters for the Superintendent of Nurses, a kitchen, doctor’s office, and a “dead room,” which opened into the alley where bodies could be removed discreetly.  The cost was $1 per day for a single room and $5 per week for a bed in a ward.  In 1903, Dr. Fitch’s house was removed, and a new building was built.  The building across the street was purchased and turned into the nurses’ residence hall.

1920s photos of Rockford Hospital staff

When Rockford Hospital first opened, it had a small nursing staff that was supervised by Matron Jane Smith.  These women were trained in cooking and patient care, but there was no medical training available to them.  In 1887, Elizabeth Glenn finished her training at Cook County Hospital and replaced Jane Smith as Superintendent of Nurses.  With her progressive ideas on the education of nurses, she began a training school with women already employed at the hospital in July of 1888.  The Rockford Training School for Nurses was incorporated one year later.  The training involved lectures given by the doctors on anatomy, physiology, and “material medica.”  The curriculum also included applying poultices, cups, leaches, bandages, and splints, cooking for the sick, making patient observations and reporting conditions to the physician, as well as “proper administration of enemas and the use of catheter, and the proper method of applying friction to the body and extremities.”  Sophia Carlson and Melanie Calliot were the first to graduate with a formal ceremony on December 19, 1889. Shortly after, the program was extended to 2 years, and then to 3 years in 1912.  Blue and gold were chosen as the school colors, and a red rose was the school flower.

In the 1800s, the nursing uniform consisted of a long sleeve dress with starched collar and starched apron or pinafore, and the cap was kept in place with ties under the chin.  By covering the entire body, excluding hands and the face, these uniforms were considered “fever proof.”  In 1902, uniforms changed to white dresses with blue stripes and a square-topped apron with an organdy cap held in place with pins.  In 1907, a white cotton cap was introduced.  Every class of nursing students wore their caps in a certain position on their heads.  In the 1930s, Rockford Hospital nurses wore short-sleeved blue dresses with wide aprons, as seen below.

1936 Rockford Hospital Nursing Uniform worn by Ruth Sarver

Between 1941 and 1942, Rockford Hospital became Rockford Memorial Hospital.  In July 1954, the hospital moved to its present location on North Rockton Ave. where it remains in operation today.

The Village is now open for tours!

Step inside our replica of Rockford Hospital as it would have looked in 1885!  Visit our other 22 original and reproduction buildings with an interpreter dressed in turn-of-the-century attired as your guide.

Click here for hours and admission: http://www.midwayvillage.com/wordpress/planning-a-visit/admission/

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized